Saturday, September 27, 2008

Sauteed radishes

We've gotten quite a few radish bunches in our CSA box this season. I have what I call a "sensitive palate," and I don't really like spicy foods. Believe it or not, the CSA radishes were mostly too spicy for me! I'd cut them up and try to eat them raw, or add them to a salad on the rare occasion that I make a salad, but I just knew there had to be a better way to eat radishes.

There is! You can sautee them! And they are delicious!! Heating them takes away some of their bite, but they still taste like radishes. Here is what I did to mine:


Sauteed radishes

1 tbsp butter
2 bunches radishes (I had "easter egg" radishes, which is why they are so many different colors)
1/2 tsp thyme (I had lemon thyme which adds a very nice touch)
Salt and pepper

Cut off radish tops and scrub to remove dirt. Cut into even pieces -- try to aim for 1/2 inch chunks. Heat butter in a medium saucepan. Add radishes and thyme. Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring often, until radishes are soft and can be easily pierced with a fork. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: