Saturday, September 27, 2008

Baked eggs


As much as I can see the beauty in getting up early and having a nice relaxing morning at home before the work day, I just can't get out of bed. I'll set the alarm at night with the intention of waking by 7, allowing me enough time to take Charlie on a long walk, or to make a hot breakfast, or to drink a cup of coffee and watch CNN. But I do a lot snoozing, sometimes for 45 minutes or more. This leaves me with only enough time to take poor Charlie on a short walk, take a shower, and get out the door.

Because of the morning rush, I tend to get stuck with quick and easy breakfast habits. For a few months last winter, I ate two hard boiled eggs and a string cheese every morning. Then I moved on to a cup-full of Kashi Go Lean Crunch and plain Greek yogurt. Now that it's fall, I'm starting my day a Lemonzest Luna Bar, a string cheese, and Gala apple from Weaver Street Market.

So, on the weekends, I really try to mix things up. I thoroughly enjoy a hot breakfast, and I like to partake of this luxury on Saturdays and Sundays. Recently, I was searching for something new to do with eggs, and I came across a baked egg recipe in Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything. It was delicious, but the portions were a little small. I wonder if it would be okay to cook multiple eggs in each ramekin.

Baked eggs (also called Shirred eggs)
from How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman

Butter as needed
2 eggs
2 tbsp bread crumbs
2 tomato slices
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter two ramekins, and place tomato slice at bottom of each. Break one egg into each dish, and cover each with 1 tbsp of bread crumbs. Place on baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the eggs are just set and the whites solidified. Season with salt and pepper.

I served with toasted French bread spread with honey.

No comments: