Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Sour blackberry cobbler


I go to the Carrboro Farmer's Market on Wednesdays these days, since that is the day I have to pick my box of veggies up from Castlemaine Farm. I went a little crazy last week and bought a bunch of additional stuff like melon, fresh figs, little potatoes, and blackberries. I am happy to report that the melon was ripe and tasty and the potatoes were awesome in my favorite potato salad. I am unhappy to report that the figs and blackberries were unripe and gross.

I had had some really good berries while I was in Los Angeles a few weeks back on business. Los Angelenos are known in my mind for having some really awesome granola. Everywhere you go, there is homemade granola with personality. At the hotel we stayed at, the restaurant offered their granola with fresh berries. It was so tasty and inspired me to "get into" berries. So I bought some blackberries, and they were terrible -- sour and bitter at the same time. How disappointing.

Not wanting them to go to waste, I found this recipe online somewhere for blackberry cobbler. The recipe I'm giving below is the portion I made -- just four servings -- so some of the measurements are weird. I winged it, using my eye to measure 1/8 cups of liquid and using a kitchen scale to measure the butter. It turned out really well, and the half-pound of sugar used really masked the terrible taste of the blackberries.

Blackberry cobbler

1 cup blackberries
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 tsp baking powder
1/8 cup milk
1.25 oz butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix blackberries and 1/4 cup sugar in a small bowl. Stir. Place your baking dish on the stove and heat the butter over low heat until it melts completely. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, mix remaining ingredients. Remove baking dish from stove, and spread the dough into the melted butter. Pour the berry mixture on top. Bake for 25 minutes or until the dough rises to the top and begins to brown.

No comments: