Monday, August 4, 2008

No yeast pizza with pesto and tomatoes

I'll start by admitting that this pizza looked and smelled better than it tasted. I came home from work with a serious craving for pizza. I knew I didn't have any yeast in the pantry, but I didn't feel like stopping at the grocery store. I did a little research and found this recipe for No Yeast Pizza Dough. Commenter #829253 is right; the result is more like a biscuit than a pizza dough, but beggars can't be choosers, and this pizza satisfied my craving. In the future, I'll try to avoid being yeastless but will fall back on this recipe in emergencies.

I topped it with homemade pesto that I made a few weekend's ago and froze, plus a small tomato from our Castlemaine Farm CSA, and some more of that Digiorno parmesan cheese.


No yeast pizza with pesto and tomatoes

Serves 2

Half of this pizza dough (I was short on all-purpose flour and had to use a 1/3 cup whole wheat flour, resulting in a darker crust.)
2 tbsp pesto (I used frozen homemade pesto; recipe here)
1 small tomato, sliced
3 tbsp freshly grated parmesan cheese
Black pepper

Place pizza stone in oven and preheat to 425 degrees. Prepare dough, and roll it out on a cornmeal-covered board. Get to about 13-inches diameter and try to keep it as round as possible by switching up your rolling direction often. Pinch edges to form crust. Spread pesto, then place tomatoes slices on top. Grate cheese directly onto pizza and then sprinkle with black pepper. Slide onto pizza stone. Bake for 20 minutes. Slide pizza back onto board and cut with pizza cutter.

No comments: