Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Nighttime chocolate craving: Vegan cocoa cake



Last night, I wanted chocolate. But this wasn't any normal chocolate craving. No, last night my tummy demanded warm chocolate. Warm chocolate mixed with flour. And sugar. Sweet bready chocolate was the only satisfaction I could get. I have been feeling a little guilty about my eating and exercise habits lately. I've basically forsaken my entire cardio routine with the excuse that it's too hot outside; the truth is, I'm lazy. And my newfound interest in baking has completely nixed the calorie-counting diet I'd been trying out (and losing weight on, actually). So what did I do, faced with this warm bready chocolate craving? I baked a cake sans egg, milk, and butter! A cake without animal products famous for their fats must be healthy, right? Probably not, but this cake got by on vegetable oil and a splash of vinegar, and boy was it good. If you have leftovers, be sure to warm them in the microwave before eating. This cake is definitely best hot.

Vegan cocoa cake
Recipe here; I halved it.

1 1/2 cups flour (I used cake flour)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup water

1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp vegetable oil

1 tbsp vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)

1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray baking dish with oil. Stir together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla extract. Stir until clumps have smoothed out. Pour batter into pan and bake for 35 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.

No comments: